Welcome to Triangle J Council of Governments and North Carolina's Region J.
Originally established in 1959 as the Research Triangle Regional Planning Commission, the Triangle J Council of Governments now serves a seven-county region, addressing the tough issues that transcend political boundaries. Our 37 member governments include Chatham, Durham, Johnston, Lee, Orange and Wake counties - and 31 municipal governments across the seven-county region.
TJCOG achieves its work through multiple roles:
- Convener and common ground for research, project development, relationship building and information sharing;
- Coordinator of efficient regional service;
- Manager of regional planning projects;
- Administrator for regional institutions addressing development, conservation, infrastructure and the delivery of human services; and
- Provider of technical assistance and data to its member communities.
Our multi-year Work Plan, reviewed, updated and approved each year by the Board of Delegates, provides a synopsis of each of our programs, projects and services, as well as several new initiatives, recommended by the board. The current Work Plan may be viewed and downloaded here.
Visit each of our program area pages to learn more about the ways TJCOG serves our region today, while planning for tomorrow.