Metropolitan Planning Organization Support
The Triangle region contains two Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) - the Capital Area MPO (NC CAMPO), which covers all of Wake County and portions of Granville, Franklin, Johnston, and Harnett counties, and the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro MPO (DCHC MPO), which covers all of Durham County and portions of Orange and Chatham counties. These two MPOs are responsible for decision making about long-range transportation planning and transportation project funding within their respective areas.
TJCOG has a long history of providing technical support to our region’s MPOs, particularly on regional issues that transcend the jurisdictional boundary between the two halves of the region. Examples of our MPO support work include:
- Development of regional growth/development forecast for use in transportation model, using CommunityViz software;
- Coordination of development of a joint regional Metropolitan Transportation Plan;
- Analysis of fiscal constraint for the regional Metropolitan Transportation Plan;
- Coordination of regional air quality conformity analysis;
- Convening of regular joint coordination meetings between the MPOs; and
- Collection and hosting of data for use in transportation plans.
Documentation & Data
Triangle Region Air Quality Conformity
The Triangle region is required by 40 CFR 51 and 93 to make a conformity determination on any newly adopted or amended fiscally constrained metropolitan transportation plan and TIP. In addition, the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), specifically, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), must make a conformity determination on MPO Plans in the Triangle region and the related TIPs in all non-attainment and maintenance areas.
Future Growth Scenarios
Connect 2045 is the second iteration of this CommunityViz-based scenario planning initiative, with the results used to inform the joint CAMPO & DCHC 2045 MTP.
Imagine 2040 was an initiative started in 2010 by the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO) and the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) to promote community-based regionalism, aimed at guiding growth and coordinating decision-making processes for a more sustainable transportation system.