Our government affairs work encourages policies that best represent the interests of all of our member governments in the region, help improve efficiencies and services across the public sector, and reduce duplication of infrastructure through the use of Councils of Governments state-wide.
Regional Recovery Priorities
In late 2021, the Triangle J Council of Governments (TJCOG) Board of Delegates approved strategic goals and priorities to guide the organization’s approach to COVID-19 recovery and funding assistance. These priorities will help TJCOG effectively respond to this demand, allocate resources, tailor advocacy efforts, identify areas for collaboration, strengthen competitiveness of local and regional grant applications, and prioritize the most relevant and urgent opportunities.
- Access new revenue for emerging issues to continuously diversify financial portfolio.
- Build regional and local capacity and service delivery.
- Catalyze collaboration and partnership opportunities within the region, and across municipalities.
- Implement a proactive approach to planning and competing for future funding sources, including but not limited to the American Rescue Plan and American Jobs Plan.
Funding Priority Areas
- Employ inclusive approaches to economic recovery that prioritize investment and development of critical and comprehensive infrastructure needs.
- Increase access to career paths and integrate municipal and community workforce strategies to reduce barriers to entry.
- Strengthen pipelines to financial and social capital for small businesses and break down structural barriers for historically underutilized businesses.
- Improve climate resiliency and mitigate the negative effects of rapid development on the health of the environment and community.
- Strengthen our small communities through projects that focus on sustainability, longevity, and coordination.
- Expand opportunities for regional innovation to maintain a competitive advantage, build on current prosperity, and detect emerging challenges.
TJCOG works directly with lobbyist Leslie Mozingo of Strategics Consulting who provides expertise and advice on TJCOG priorities; proactively engages with our congressional representatives and federal agencies; assists with federal grant applications and project development; and monitors, reviews, and advises on pending legislation. Member governments are encouraged to reach out to Leslie for general assistance on federal advocacy, or to discuss personalized or project-specific support.