Long Term Care

Adjusting to life in a long-term care facility can be challenging, and sometimes, there can be resident or family concerns about care and services.  If an individual is residing in a nursing home, adult care home (also called assisted living) or a family care home, there is potential help available from a trained advocate called a long-term care Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman Program gives long-term care facility residents and their families a voice. Ombudsmen advocate on behalf of long-term care facility residents to uphold their rights and address quality of care and quality of life issues through information, education and mediation.  Ombudsmen monitor the implementation of federal, state and local laws governing long-term care facilities and work to educate the public, residents, family members and facility staff regarding long-term care issues and elder abuse prevention, detection and reporting requirements. 


To locate a skilled nursing facility or adult care home, visit the NC Division of Health Services Regulation at https://info.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/families.html


Ombudsmen do not have regulatory power- any suspected abuse or neglect by a long-term care facility should be reported to the NC Division of Health Services Regulation and/or local law enforcement for investigation.  

To file a complaint by phone:
Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within N.C.) or 919-855-4500
Complaint Hotline Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. weekdays, except holidays


 To file a complaint by mail:
Complaint Intake Unit
2711 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2711


If you want to find out more about long-term care or recognizing and preventing abuse, neglect or exploitation of older and frail adults, the following information may be of help.  Our long-term care Ombudsman are also available if you need help or have questions.

Contact a Regional Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Community Advisory Committee Volunteers

Elder Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation

Paying for Long-Term Care

Care Transitions and Discharges


Contact a Regional Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Ombudsman Program Toll Free Line: 800.310.9777
Ombudsman Program Secure FAX Line: 919.998.8101

Aimee Kepler, 919.558.2719
Wake County Adult Care Homes

Autumn Cox, 919.558.9401
Chatham County Nursing & Adult Care Homes, Lee County Adult Care Homes, Orange County Nursing and Adult Care Homes

Carolyn Pennington, 919.558.2703
Johnston County Nursing & Adult Care Homes, Moore County Nursing & Adult Care Homes

Jennifer Link, 919.558.9404
Wake County Nursing Homes, Lee County Nursing Homes

Pam Palmer, 919.558.2714
Durham County Nursing & Adult Care Homes

Keegan Cheleden, 919.558.9396
AAA Program Associate

 When contacting an Ombudsman, please note that they are often out of the office.  You may need to leave a message and they will return your call.  Also, for your own protection, please do not send private or confidential information through unsecured emails.  We can respond by phone or talk with you in person if you have confidential information to share with us.


Community Advisory Committee Volunteers

  • There are volunteers in each county who are appointed by the county commissioners to serve on the nursing home and adult care home community advisory committees.  These volunteers are  trained by the regional long-term care ombudsmen and certified by NC's state ombudsman.  The primary purpose of of these volunteer advocates is to maintain the intent of the Nursing Home and Adult Care Home Residents" Bill of Rights in facilities across the state, and to promote community involvement and cooperation with these home to promote quality of care.  The community advisory committees are responsible for advising the board of county commissioners of the general conditions existing in the long term care facilities within each county.  The committees fulfill this obligation through formal and informal visits to facilities, submitting quarterly and annual reports of their observations to the ombudsmen and to the county.  The Essential Guide explains more about the long term care community advisory committees and their work.  


Elder Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation

In general, elder abuse, neglect and exploitation refers to any knowing, intentional or negligent by a person that causes harm or serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult.  Elder abuse and mistreatment can happen in any setting and is not limited to long-term care homes.   It can happen to individuals of any age, but often the elderly are the most vulnerable to abuse. 

 Abuse generally consists of:

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Neglect 
  • Self-neglect that poses a risk to health or safety
  • Exploitation
  • Emotional abuse
  • Abandonment

Warning signs of physical abuse include unexplained bruises, abrasions, hand prints, broken bones or other unexplained physical trauma.  Individuals may show signs of fear, flinching or withdrawal form normal activities  if they are being intimidated.  A change in financial circumstances or previously unknown, controlling caretakers can be signs of exploitation.  Escalating tensions between caregiver and care recipient, including bullying or verbalizing threats, may indicate an abusive situation is developing.  Bedsores, poor hygiene and unexplained weight loss can also be warning signs that the situation is becoming abusive or neglectful.  Self-neglect is most often seen in individuals living alone and may be indicative of cognitive changes.  Modern concerns such as drug addiction and human trafficking are increasing the number of situations where abuse can occur.  

If you suspect someone is experiencing abuse, neglect or exploitation, it is important to speak up.  Not every sign, above, indicates an abusive situation, but it is silence that allows abuse to continue unabated.  In North Carolina, the Departments of Social Services has been designated in each county to investigate reports of abuse in the community or in group homes through their Adult Protective Service program.  You do not have to give your name in order to report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation to the Department of Social Services.   Reports of abuse in skilled nursing facilities can be made directly to the NC Division of Health Services Regulation for investigation.

-Additional Content Coming Soon-